After a long winter, it's refreshing to see the grocery produce departments begin to carry Canadian hothouse grown peppers, cucumbers, and tomatoes. This salad makes a great side dish, but because of the added protein of the chickpeas, it makes an easy-to-pack lunch.
Serves 4 as a side dish
- 1 cup hothouse tomato, diced 250 mL
- 1 cup hothouse English cucumber, diced 250 mL
- 1 cup hothouse red, orange, or yellow bell pepper, diced 250 mL
- 1⁄2 cup red onion, diced 125 mL
- 1 19 oz. can, chickpeas, rinsed and drained 540 mL
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil 30 mL
- 11⁄2 tbsp red wine vinegar 22 mL
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp fresh oregano, finely chopped 15 mL
- 1 tbsp fresh basil, chopped 15 mL
- salt and pepper
- Toss all of the ingredients together and season to taste. Chill until ready to serve.
The salad will keep refrigerated for up to two days.