Installing a window air conditioner is a quick and easy DIY job. Check out these general guidelines for an overview of the process.
TIP: The unit can be heavy and awkward to handle. Install with two people to ensure safety.
- Screw driver
- Measuring tape
- Included mounting hardware and brackets
- Make sure there is an outlet close by: if you need more length, use an extension cord rated for air conditioner use
- Measure the width and the height of the window opening to make sure the air conditioner will fit
- Prepare the side panels as directed (if not pre-attached)
- Open the window’s lower pane, remove the window screen and clean the area
- Centre the AC unit in your window and fasten it to the brackets (if included), or tightly close the window on top of the unit
- Extend the side panels to fill the empty space and secure them to the window jam as directed
- Seal the inside with weatherstripping (may be provided) and caulk around the outside
- Plug in the unit, turn it on and enjoy your cool and comfortable room!
IMPORTANT: Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions when installing a new air conditioning unit.