Step By Step
Staining Or Painting Your Chairs (Optional)
- Ask your Home Hardware dealer for advice on the best finish for your chairs
- Cut out the pieces for the project using a jigsaw and a mitre saw
- Rip narrow pieces from stock using a table saw
- Pre-drill all the screw holes with a combination drill/countersink bit
- Use galvanized bolts, nuts and washers. Sand all pieces before assembly
- Tip: You may want to stain or paint the wood before assembly
Step #1 Side Aassemblies
- Drill 5/16" holes at the locations indicated. Now build 4 side assemblies for 2 chairs. Place the back legs on the insides of the side supports and place the front legs on the outsides of the side supports.
- Use a wrench to fasten the legs with 1/4" x 3" bolts, nuts and washers at the front leg, and 1/4" x 2-1/2" bolts at the back leg. Use a framing square to ensure that the legs are 90 degrees to your work surface.
Step #2 Back Seat & Back Leg Supports
- Fasten the supports to the side assemblies using 3" deck screws.
- The lower back support overhangs the side supports by 1/4" on each side.
- Centre the upper back support on the two back legs.
Step #3 Arm Blocks & Front Slats
- Fasten the arm blocks to the back legs and the outside front legs with 3" deck screws and fasten the first seat slat to the side supports with 1-5/8" deck screws.
- The slats with overhang the side supports by 1/4" on each side.
Step #4 Back Slats & Seat Slats
- Align the 2 outer back slats with the bottom of the lower back support and with the outer edges of the upper back support. Fasten the slats to the supports with 1-5/8" deck screws. Space the remaining back slats evenly along the back supports and fasten with 1-5/8" deck screws.
- Lay the remaining seat slats on the side supports and space them evenly. The slats with overhang the side supports by 1/4" on each side. Four of the slats will need to be trimmed to fit between the front legs. Fasten with 1-5/8" deck screws.
Step #5 Outer Arms
- Position the outer arms flush with the backs of the back legs and fasten them to the arm blocks and the back legs with 3" deck screws.
Step #6 Shelf
- Place the two chairs on a level surface or floor.
- Position the 2 chairs at a 45 degree angle to each other.
- Position the "N" shelf support flush with the fronts of the front legs and fasten with 3" deck screws.
- Now install the remaining pieces.
Step #7 Table Top
- Position the "S" support flush with the fronts of the front legs and fasten with 3" deck screws. Then install both inner arms with 3" and 2" deck screws.
- Now install the remaining pieces with 2" deck screws (screw the support pieces to the arms from the underside).
- The assembly should now be stable enough to lift and move carefully (It should always be placed on a firm level area).
Step #8 Curved Back Slats
- Draw a curved line or radius by using a string held approximately 18" from the top of the middle back slats.
- Cut the curve with a jigsaw, and sand smooth.
For full material list and complete project details, please contact your local Home Store (project SKU 6335-503)