We used moulding and handrail to give this simple dog bed design an upscale look, turning ordinary to extraordinary.
The soft blue of Irish Sea pairs beautifully with the muted metro greys on the blue plaid pet pillow for a designer doggie look.
What you'll needMaterials
- 36" x 27" Blue Plaid Polar Fleece pet pillow 5973-129
- 1 x 8 pine (22')
- finger joint pine handrail (14')
- 8/4 x 6 pine (4')
- 3/4" pine corner trim (16')
- 3/4" lattice trim (32')
- 3/8" plywood 4' x 4'
- 1-1/2" #8 wood screws (16)
- 2" and 1" ardox finishing nails
- wood glue 2020-012
- wood filler 1626-156
- Cut all eight side pieces to finished lengths.
- Cut dados (tongue and groove joints) to connect the top and bottom pieces to each other.
- Cut 3/8" x 3/8" rabbets in the four bottom pieces for the plywood base. Glue and assemble the top pieces to the bottom pieces.
- Mitre the ends of each panel to 45 degrees and glue and assemble the panels to each other making certain that the box is square (all inside corners are 90 degrees).
- Cut the 3/8" plywood bottom to fit, glue and install.
- Cut out the front opening with a jigsaw, 7" down and 20" wide.
- Dado a 3/4" wide by 3/8" deep channel centred in the bottom of the handrail and cut the pieces to length.
- Mitre the handrail pieces for the corners, then glue and fasten in place.
- Cut and install the corner trim and then the lattice trim.
- For the feet, glue two 2' pieces of 8/4 x 6 pine together.
- When the glue has dried, cut out four feet with 5 degree angles on four sides.
- Glue and install the feet in the corners fastening them with 1-1/2" screws through the plywood base.
- Drill pilot holes for the screws to prevent the wood from splitting.
- Fill nail holes and joints as needed and sand.
- Paint with Cabinet and Furniture Paint in desired colour.
Paint Colour Shown
Irish Sea in Designer Series Cabinet and Furniture 1880