Get your creative mind into the gutter and discover a treasure trove of holiday ideas for your home. Using a few basic materials available at your neighbourhood Home store, you can create fabulous decorations that will light up your holiday home inside and out.
Festival of Lights
Ignite your senses with this stunning centrepiece. Our tray is 32" long, but you can customize the length to suit your needs.
What You'll Need
- aluminum flashing 2610-865
- Pliobond glue
- flat black spray paint
- 1" x 1" pine 8'
- 8" x 32" 3/16" plywood board
- 2" x 2" pine 1'
- finishing nails
- scissors 1136-090
- carpenters glue 2020-164
- votive holders (22) 4332-038
- clear acrylic diamonds
- tea light 4330-234 or battery operated tea lights 4330-410
8" X 32" Tray
- Cut upper frame from 1" pine with mitre corners at 7" and 31". Glue and nail.
- Place the frame over the aluminum flashing, mark the dimensions and cut metal to size. (Heavy-duty scissors can be used.)
- Place the frame over the plywood, mark the dimensions and cut plywood to size.
- Cut four legs from 2" pine. (Legs measure 2" square.)
- Paint all wood pieces black.
- Glue metal to plywood backing.
- Nail metal backing to frame.
- Nail and glue the legs through base at corners.
- Stylize. Place glass votive holders (22) in the tray. Place acrylic diamonds around the base of the votive holders. Place a tea light or battery tea light in the holder.
Caution: Never leave burning candles unattended, and always keep out of reach of children and pets. For a line drawing of the tray.
Personalize your front door with your monogram, crafted from aluminum flashing.
Choose a font style you like. Use a photocopier to enlarge it to desired size. Using a fine marker, trace it onto the metal. Cut out the shape with scissors and bejewel the edges by studding with acrylic diamonds. Punch a hole with a paper punch or a nail. Insert the diamond and hot glue from the back of initial to secure it in place. To hang, nail punch two small holes with a finishing nail at top of the initial. Insert the wire and make a large loop so that the initial hangs in the right position on your door.
- alphabet stencil
- monogram font
Greet your guests at the table with the perfect touch and deck the backs of your dining chairs with these holiday sconces.
Use scissors to cut out the cone shape from the aluminum flashing.
Personalize each sconce with a monogram. Use a stencil to trace the initial. Place metal on wood and with a finishing nail punch the outline to show the design.
Embellish your project with acrylic diamonds. Use a nail set and hammer or paper punch to punch a hole. Place a diamond in the hole and glue from behind. Roll the metal into a cone shape and hold together with hot glue. Hang with wire or ribbon. Stuff with seasonal greenery, candy or treasured trinkets.