What You'll Need
- household iron
- paper plates 6460-439
- rollers and tray 1656-211
- canvas drop cloth
- felt pads - 1" 2346-191; 2" 2346-195
- large cork
- Speed-Sew® fabric glue 2010-433
- plastic drop sheet 1643-127
- tissue paper 5650-522
- Beauti-Tone Signature Series exterior semi-gloss in a clear base (not tinted)
- Beauti-Tone latex paint (tinted):
- Evermore D38-1-0557-3, Chocolate brown 1835-278, Weaver's tool D3-3-0177-4, Maple pecan D3-6-0174-0
- Cut canvas into 20" x 13" rectangles.
- Using an iron, press a 1/2" hem on all edges.
- Glue hem in place with Speed Sew glue.
- Cut a piece of tissue the same size as finished placemats.
- Plan your dot pattern on the tissue, making registration marks on each circle with a small pencil hole. (photo 1)
- Lay the tissue over a placemat, and with a pencil, transfer the registration marks onto the canvas.
- Peel the paper off the felt pad to reveal the adhesive. Stick the felt pad to the cork.
- Pour a small amount of paint on a paper plate and coat the felt pad with that colour.
- Position the felt pad on the canvas, using the registration marks as your guide. Press evenly all around the pad to ensure a clean print. Continue with this colour to complete the pattern.
- Use a new felt pad for the next paint colour. Continue this process until the pattern is complete.
- Allow the paint to dry thoroughly.
- Iron the placemats flat using a damp cloth on the backsides.
- Lay the placemats right side up on a drop sheet. With untinted semi-gloss paint, coat the entire surface of each placemat. It will appear milky white but will dry clear. Allow paint to dry thoroughly.
- Apply 3 more coats, allowing paint to dry thoroughly between each coat. This process offers a protective acrylic coating that is stain resistant and easy to wipe clean. (photo 6)
Dot patterns can be random, eliminating the need for registration marks.
All the dots can be one paint colour.
Use a variety of felt pad sizes for different size dots.
Create a cheerful and chic wall using this same technique.
For custom outdoor linens simply purchase cotton or polyester fabric (non stretch). Cut to size, hem with Speed Sew glue, and apply 4 coats of untinted semi-gloss paint.