PRO Tips For Staying Safe at Work
Here are Some Great Ways You Can Protect Your Employees, Customers and Yourself from Contracting or Spreading COVID-19 while Working at Your Trade
How to protect yourself and others
- Wash your hands often. Washing with soap and water is preferred.
- Sneeze and cough into tissues (preferred) and elbows. Throw the tissue away.
- Avoid touching eyes, nose and mouth with your hands.
- Stay home if you are sick.
- Avoid contact with a sick person.
- Do not shake hands.
Discuss the job required with the business or homeowner in advance to determine the level of risk.
Here are some suggestions for what to discuss:
- Nature of the job to be done
- Location of the job to be done
- Number of people on site or in dwelling
- Proximity of people to where the work needs to be done
- Notification to the business/homeowner that the workers may leave if they feel unsafe or exposed
While on the job
you are going on the job or responding to a call, practice social
distancing with your apprentices and other work colleagues. Maintain a
distance of 2 metres (6 feet) between you and others.
- Consider if using other protective equipment is right for your business, such as Nitrile and Latex gloves.
- Ensure those who use personal protective equipment are properly trained.
- Carry disinfectant wipes and wipe all surfaces before and after work.
Avoid contaminating common items and surfaces.
- Throughout the day, clean and disinfect surfaces, tools and equipment that you touch often.
- Use regular household disinfectants or diluted bleach (1 part bleach and 9 parts water) to disinfect.
that are used to carry out work but cannot be cleaned or reused should
be secured in a lined container and disposed of with other work-related
If you are an employer
- Post handwashing signs and provide alcohol-based hand rub to encourage frequent hand hygiene.
- Make sure spaces and surfaces are cleaned.
- Remove non-essential items like magazines, stuffed toys, and other items that can’t be easily cleaned from reception areas.
- Facilitate and encourage social distancing.
After the Job
all visits are recorded and tracked, noting address, number of people
in the home, and contact information, so all parties can be notified of
new infections if necessary.
- Wash work wear and shower regularly to avoid transmitting the virus in case you have come in contact with it while working.