Cute as a Button
What You'll Need
- favourite fabric cut to size
- large four-hole buttons in desired colour
- cotton twine
- Thread two 18" lengths of white cord through the buttonholes and tie around napkin.
Serve up some festive fare in style with our flag inspired tray. View video.
- 2' of 8/4 x 12" pine
- 1" Forstner bit 1213-948
- 2 square zinc bolt 2343-574 (handles)
- Minwax natural paste wax 1874-751
- Beauti-Tone Designer Series Suede paint
- Colours shown: Patriot Love NPC44-3; Snowshoe Hare NPC39-0
- painter's tape 1670-131
- paint brushes 1612-605
- hobby knife 1033-401
- fine black marker 5740-468
- metal edged ruler 1048-075
- spray adhesive 2020-075
- white Bristol board 5736-812
- stencil brush 1610-344
- sanding block 1061-406
- painter's pyramids 1610-002
- Mask off the centre section of the flag with painter's tape. Paint white. Let dry.
- Mask off the two red end sections of the flag. Paint and let dry.
- Trace and cut out the leaf stencil from the Bristol board using a hobby knife and a metal edged ruler.
- Position the leaf stencil in the centre of the flag and secure in place with spray adhesive.
- Stencil the leaf with a dry brush technique. Let dry 24 hours.
- Coat the entire tray with 2 to 3 coats of paste wax.
- Mark the position of the handles on the bottom of the tray. Drill a 1" by 3/4" deep hole with a Forstner bit to countersink the nuts and washers.
- Drill 3/8" holes for the handles and install. Have a rubber mallet handy in case the handle needs gentle persuasion to go through the tray.