An 18-gauge stapler is preferred for this project, however finishing nails may be used.Frame:
Reinforce the frame:
- Cut 1/4” mahogany underlay to 48” x 80” and lay on a flat surface.
- Cut 4-1/2” strips of 3/4” plywood. Glue and fasten 60” pieces flush to the sides, extending 12” below for the legs.
- Glue and fasten 71” pieces of 4-1/2” strips of 3/4” plywood across the top and bottom between the sides.
- Turn the assembled sheet over. Repeat instructions on the front side using 3 1/2” strips of 3/4” plywood.
- Cut 1/4” plywood to fill the gap in leg.
- Cut shiplap to fit inside plywood strips with a 1/4” clearance (72-1/2”).
- Starting at the top, glue and fasten shiplap boards to the underlay.
- Rip the last board to fit bottom of headboard.
- To cover shiplap edges, cut 4-1/2 x 5/8” moulding to fit 60” sides and 71” top and bottom. Glue and fasten in place.
- Glue and fasten 2 layers of 2-1/2” x 5/8” moulding together. Attach on top of headboard with enough overhang in the front to cover doorstop moulding (next step).
- Cut MDF doorstop to fit width of headboard. Fasten under top piece.
- Fill all nail or staple holes with Home® wood filler.
- Fill edge of plywood assembly with Minwax® high performance wood filler.
- Sand smooth.
- Prime bare wood. Paint the entire headboard with Beauti-Tone Cabinet and Furniture paint. Shown Love Letters WB002-0.