Video created by: Rebecca & Mike
Rebecca & Mike from “Mike & Me” show us how to refresh your deck and add a privacy wall…all in under a week!
Building a new deck from scratch isn’t cheap. It also takes a lot of time and labour, especially if you need to tear down the old deck first. So Rebecca and Mike decided on a makeover instead. A deck refresh can do much more than just make the “old” look presentable again. It’s an opportunity to create a whole new look and feel for your deck, and by extension your yard and home. The first thing that came to mind was adding a privacy wall to help make their deck a little cozier and more secluded. A colour change was also in order, with the unanimous choice being Beauti-Tone White (stain for the deck, paint for the railings). White makes any space seem larger and goes well with any colour of furniture. Staining a deck can be hard work, but Rebecca attached her stain brush to a broom handle to make the job much easier. Once everything was dry, they added hanging lights for ambience and chose our super-comfy Santorini L-Shape Sectional Set for seating. Not bad for a week’s work!
Rebecca & Mike’s local Home Hardware store helped them find all the right products for their project. Here’s a rundown of the materials* used and the steps followed:
- Use a pressure washer to blast off all the old paint from the deck
- Get rid of that old back railing using a hand saw and circulating saw
- Cut out three 4”x4” squares in the deck for the new posts to slide into
- Split your 6” pressure-treated fence boards into 2¼” strips
- Use a jigs aw to cut holes for your three 4”x4” main posts and install them with 3/8”x8” galvanized hex lag screws
- Install your four 2”x2” support posts and screw in your fence boards (spaced 3/8” apart)
- Attach a 4” stain brush to a broom handle and apply two coats (about 4 gallons) of Beauti-Tone WoodShield Acrylic Deck and Siding Stain
- Make the railings beautiful with Beauti Tone Signature Series Exterior Paint
- Hang outdoor lights for ambience 10. Add cozy seating from our wide selection of beautiful outdoor furniture