The beauty of this project is that with just a few modifications, this work table becomes either a kitchen island or workbench for a home office, garage or workshop.
The stock you use for constructing the table will depend on its intended use. Solid oak, birch, pine or cedar are better for the kitchen or home office, heavier 2" x 4" lumber for the garage or shop. We used pine and birch veneer plywood and routed the sides of the legs with an ogee bit for a decorative appearance, but this is optional. Pre-drill all screw locations with a combination drill and countersink bit, and use wood caps to cover the holes. Attach iron-on veneer edging tape before installing the shelves.
What You'll Need
- table top: 24" x 48" x 3/4" birch veneer plywood shelves:17-1/2" x 44" x 3/4" birch veneer plywood (2 pieces)
- legs and shelf supports: 1-1/2" x 3" pine - 24 ft
- centre shelf supports: 1" x 3" pine - 8 ft
- upper frame: 1" x 4" pine - 12 ft
- wood glue 2020-903
- 1" #8 wood screws 2174-284
- 1-1/2" #8 wood screws 2174-408
- 2" #8 wood screws 2174-505
- 3/4" #6 wood screws 2174-140
- 90-degree corner braces 2" 2379-063
- 5/16" hardwood buttons
- fine sand paper 1230-386
- 13/16" iron-on birch veneer tape 2569-198
- measuring tape 1048-832
- bench saw
- compound mitre saw 1347-890
- power drill 1239-121
- combination drill/countersink bit
- sander 1262-331/861
- framing square 1070-060/062
- clamps 1023
- router (optional) 1258-524
- 1/4" ogee or cove bit (optional)
- 5/16" wood bit 1214-055
- Cut the material to size as indicated in diagram. Bevel boards for the upper frame 45-degrees at corners. Cut table top and shelves to size.
- Attach the four legs to the upper frame using wood glue, 1-1/2" and 2" wood screws. Use clamps to secure your work and a framing square to check for 90-degree corners.
- Centre the four shelf supports on the legs and install them using glue and 2" wood screws. Use the clamps to secure the pieces between the legs.
- Using 90-degree corner brace and 3/4" #6 screws and wood glue, install the two centre shelf supports as shown in diagram. This will strengthen the legs assembly and add support along the length of the shelves.
- Invert the table top onto a protected surface to prevent scratching, centre the completed frame over the plywood top and secure it with eight braces and 3/4" #6 screws. Install the two shelves, using the clamps to hold the plywood onto the side supports. The shelves are spaced to provide ample room for storage baskets, kitchenware or small appliances, even a wine rack, in the kitchen, and tool storage in the shop or garage. For garage or workshop, consider adding a "backsplash" along one length of the table top to provide a display area for hooks and tool racks.
- Drill a hole of the required diameter into the bottom centre of each table leg to install castors
- Sand the table, install 5/16" wood caps over screw holes and complete with the finish of your choice. We attached a paper towel dispenser at one end for kitchen use. For the shop or garage, tool holders or a power bar would be useful additions.