Create this life-size fluffy friend for your holiday décor. He's sure to be a real snowpiece!
What you'll need
• sewing machine (not necessary, but easier) 3856-120
• drill 1240-062
• 3/32" drill bit 1242-060
• jigsaw 1268-489
• scissors 4464-314
• screwdriver set 1058-169
• sandpaper 1061, 1078
• 1 large package of quilt batting
• 3 large packages of fibrefill stuffing
• 6' x 1" dowelling 2624-459
• 1/4" plywood cut in a 12" diameter circle
• orange craft paint 1756-264
• staple gun 1072-121, and staples 1073-030
• needle and white thread
• buttons for eyes, mouth, and body
• 1 metre black felt
• fence wire or wire hanger 2647-700
• black thread
• red ribbon
• glue gun 2047-083 and hot glue 2047-181
- Cut dowelling to 5' and drill a 3/32" hole 1/2" from the top. Keep the remaining piece of dowelling for the nose.
- Glue and screw dowelling to the centre of the sanded 12" plywood circle.
- Fold quilt batting in half. Cut 30" across, and stitch side seam. Turn right side out.
- With a needle and thread, gather one opened end of batting to fit the plywood base. Staple batting to the bottom of the base.
- Stuff the core with crumpled newspaper and fibrefill around the outsides.
- With needle and thread gather top end tight.
- Cut 17" across the folded batting, and stitch side seam. Turn right side out. With needle and thread, gather one opened end and pull tight.
- Place over dowelling and stuff with newspaper and fibrefill. With needle and thread gather top end tight.
- Cut 13" across the folded batting, and stitch side seam. Turn right side out. With needle and thread, gather one opened end and pull tight.
- Place over dowelling and stuff with newspaper and fibrefill. Gather top edge and pull tight.
- Secure the head with needle and thread through the hole in the dowelling.
- Sew buttons on for eyes, mouth, and body.
- Cut 8" from the remaining dowelling and sand into a carrot shape. Paint orange. To attach the nose, cut a small hole in the batting and heavily glue the nose in place. Secure until the glue dries.
Use traditional tree branches or cut four 6" by 20" rectangles. Stitch two pieces together at side seams. Turn right side out. Gather one opened end and pull tight. Stuff and attach arm to body with needle and thread. Repeat for second arm.
Hat and scarf:
- Cut two 22" diameter circles. (Tip: tie an 11" string to a pencil and the other end around a straight pin placed in the fabric. Ensure the string is taut and draw the circle with the pencil.)
- Cut a 12" diameter hole in the centre of each circle. Save one 12" circle for the top of the hat.
- Blanket stitch the two pieces together along the outside edge of large circle to make the hat brim.
- Insert the wire between the circles along the outside edge of the brim.
- Cut one 9 1/2" x 13" piece of felt. Stitch a 1/2" seam. Turn right side out.
- Make several 1/2" clips along one edge and glue tabs to the brim.
- Blanket stitch one of the 12" circles on top of the hat.
- Hot glue ribbon and other embellishments.
- Use remaining felt for a scarf.