Message du propriétaire
The Original Home Hardware Store-St. Jacobs
- The St. Jacobs Home Hardware Store started as a hardware store in 1900 when it was converted from a blacksmith shop to a hardware store by Henry Gilles.
- His great-grandson, David Gromeder, manages the present retail facility.
- In 1934, the business was purchased by Gordon Hollinger, a local entrepreneur, who changed the name to Hollinger Hardware.
- Henry Sittler, who previously worked as the manager of the General Store down the street, became manager.
- Gordon and Henry developed a very aggressive business that followed the principals of their motto: Value, Service and Dependability.
- In 1938, when Walter Hachborn joined the company, there were only four members on staff: Mr. Hollinger, Mr. Sittler, Enoch Martin (a long time staff member) and Ross Wall.
- The business was purchased in 1950 by a partnership which included Henry Sittler, Walter Hachborn and A.H. Zilliax, an Elmira barrister.
- A Dealer-Owned cooperative was investigated to allow the Dealers to eliminate the wholesale profit and compete with discounters, while at the same time provide service and advice. After consulting with the Dealers and holding countless meetings, Hollinger Hardware was sold to the Dealers as a cooperative on January 1, 1964.
- Walter Hachborn became President and General Manager.
- Growth of the business soon demanded more space and facilities so, in 1967, the head office and distribution moved from King Street in St. Jacobs, to a new 75,000 square foot facility on Henry Street, on the outskirts of the village.
Come see us today at the original Home Hardware Store located in beautiful downtown St. Jacobs!